Sunday, December 20, 2009

Birds & Fishes Lovespoon Finished -- Finally!

I know, I know, I have neglected you, my faithful readers, horribly. My only excuse is that I was in production mode on my Santas, every spare moment devoted to that jolly old elf.

But now I'm back! Celebration abounds!

Or, maybe not.

In any case, I finally got the guts to finish the Birds & Fishes Lovespoon that I started way back in February. It was only my third lovespoon, and I think I got a little ambitious with the design. So, seven months, three lovespoons and innumerable Santas later I decided I was ready to finish it, and here is the result.





This photo shows what a dog's dinner I made of the back of the birds's necks, all through the mechanism of not paying attention, front to back, of the order of the goesovers to the goesunders.


This photo shows the front view of the birds.



Here's the lower part of the spoon.


And a detail of the bowl.


And an overall photo of the back of the spoon. Overall, not a bad effort, if I do say so myself. Even if it did take 7 months!

So I'm off on another woody adventure or two. I've already got the design for my next lovespoon transferred onto a blank, and I'm also playing with a design for a Woodworker's Chess set. I'm almost done with the first bishop, and I have designs for the pawns, knights and rooks. I'm dithering about the design of the king, and I have no idea what I'm going to do with the queen. Once I get one of each of the pieces carved, I'm going to post them and ask guidance for the queen's design. So keep on the lookout.

Until next time, let the chips fly!

5 comments:

  1. Very nice! I was wondering where you were off to! I guess that design was where all that time went. Wonderful detail! By far, I belive that is one of your best spoons yet! ( my opinion of coarse) I love the celtic knot of the tails. Celtic knots give me a headache but they look so cool when people carve them. Can't wait to see more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes Bob! Thats one complicated spoon. Carvin that one would tie a CNC carvin machine in knots. Well done Buddy. Or put another way; amazin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking spoon Bob. No wonder you have not posted in a while. Merry Christmas
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas Bob. I am awestruck by the knot work and I too feel this is your best yet. I look forward to you inspiring me to further things next year. All the best from us here in the UK ~ Dave

    ReplyDelete