Since last we talked about this lovespoon, I finished the piercings, hollowed the bowl, and began the other decorations. As you might remember, those decorations in the flat spots beneath and above the roundels were intended to be kolrosed.
Well, I did it.
The result was HORRIBLE! Much to my embarrassment I have posted that photo. I refuse to post the close ups! You can get close enough by just clicking on the photo. The cuts aren't straight. They overrun the borders. Too close together so pieces of wood chipped out. Disgusting! Must. Practice. More.
Well, I couldn't let THAT stand! I racked my brain trying to figure out how I could salvage this spoon. I finally decided that the best way, the ONLY way, was to relieve the wood in the kolrosed areas down to a point below the penetration of the kolrosing knife. Not as difficult or disruptive as I thought it would be. Once I was there I had to determine what to put in the blank spots. And boy, were they BLANK!
As you can see, I decided, after much deliberation, to go with diamonds in the small spaces and raised hearts above the bowl. The diamonds were a cinch, and the hearts weren't difficult at all.